- Published on Tuesday, 04 June 2013 18:06
- Hits: 190
PREDATORY paedophile Jimmy Savile is feared to have been allowed unsupervised access to a Boy Scout camp overnight in the motorhome he called his “Passion Wagon”.
Scout leaders are under pressure over allegations that disgraced DJ Savile and his friend Jimmy Corrigan spent the night in a tent just feet from where the youngsters slept.
It is alleged the two men visited the campsite, in Doncaster, as part of a fund raising effort by Savile.
Concern about the late Jim’ll Fix It star’s links with the movement have been growing since claims surfaced that he abused a Scout in his BBC dressing room in 1976.
The new allegations are the latest in a file of evidence into Savile’s sordid past being built up by residents in Whitby, North Yorkshire.
The northern seaside town has been visited by Scotland Yard officers working on Operation Yewtree.
The Scouting Association has made it clear that their current safeguarding policy means such access would now never be allowed. It is unlikely today’s rigorous rules would have been in place in the Sixties and Seventies.
Yesterday a resident who asked not to be named said: “While the account of the Doncaster visit by Savile and Corrigan does not mention any instance of abuse, and asserts that they slept on their own, away from the Scouts, obviously it is a cause of concern that someone like Savile would have access to Scouts at a campsite.
“This is now prohibited. There must still be a concern that someone with such insatiable appetites for sexual abuse as Savile would not have been able to leave the Scouts alone, particularly as he had a motorhome.
If any of our members believes they have been a victim of Savile they should tell the relevant authorities and we will support them in any way we can
“This was a type of vehicle he is known to have used to commit sexual offences safely and securely without being seen or discovered.”
Corrigan, who is now dead, was boss of amusement arcades in Scarborough and a close friend of Savile’s.
Last night a Scouting Association spokesman said: “We are aware of only one case in which Savile was alleged to have abused a young person who was a member of the Scout movement. We are not aware of any regular links between Savile and any Scout groups in the UK that occurred while he was alive.
“We have more than 500,000 members who go camping on a regular basis.
“It is impossible for us to comment on an alleged incident that may or may not have occurred in the Sixties or Seventies at an unspecified location on an unspecified date with unspecified individuals.
“If any of our members believes they have been a victim of Savile they should tell the relevant authorities and we will support them in any way we can.”
Last year Kevin Cook, 45, claimed Savile abused him in a BBC dressing room after he appeared on Jim’ll Fix It when he was a nine-year-old Cub Scout.